- VISA APPLICATION
- What is VISA?
- Understanding The Legalities
- Availing Assistance
- The Immigration Paralegal
- School Selection and getting admitted
- GETTING A VISA
- I-20 form
- Proving the Financial Capability
- Where to apply
- When to Apply
- HOW TO APPLY FOR AN US VISA
- Paying the Visa Application Fee
- The Visa Interview Schedule
- The Interview
- FORM I-20 CHALLENGES
- Problems with Form I-20
- Problems with Educational Qualifications
- What is Immigrant Intent?
- Bringing Your Family Along
- ENTERING THE UNITED STATES
- Going through the Form Filling process
- Obtaining the Social Security Number
- EARNING WHILE LEARNING
- Introduction to earning while learning
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- MAINTAINING THE VISA STATUS
- Filing for a renewal of the Visa
- Different infringements by different students
- Maintaining the status of the F-1 visa
- Penalties related to VISA violation
- When to apply for a new I-20 form
- J-1 INTERNSHIP
- J-1 Internship Program
- How to Find the Internship
- The Requirements of the Visitor Visa Departure
- Applying for the J-1 visa:
- How to go about preparing the J-1 Application Packet
Obtaining The Social Security Number
For an International Student, it is imperative that one obtains a Social Security Number (SSN), if you have any plans to work in the United States. In the meanwhile you can work even when your SSN application is under purview.
These are the requirements:
- Birth Certificate
- Letter from your school, that recognizes you and identifies the employer, your curriculum etc.
- Foreign passport that is not expired
- Endorsed Form I-20, I-766 and I-94
- Completed application to obtain a Social Security card.
It is very important for both F-1 and J-1 visa to notify and inform the DSO before you apply for the SSN. The DSO is the right person to hold your hand and rectify the errors that might have crept in, as it is very critical having any errors on Form I-20.
Also make sure that there are not any inconsistencies in Form I-94, as this will delay the process of availing a social security number. In order to get your social security number without any delay, the best option is applying for it (minimum) two working days after the last update to From I-20 in SEVIS.