- LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- Introduction to letter of recommendation
- The significance of recommendation letters
- Effective and compelling recommendation letter.
- Points to remember before asking a recommendation
- The common attributes of applicants for LOR
- RECOMMENDERS OF LOR
- The “recommenders”
- The choice of selection of potential recommenders
- Who are the potential recommenders
- Who cannot be a recommender?
- LOR’s which create doubts in admissions committee's mind
- The common challenges faced in choosing the “right recommenders”
- CATEGORIES OF RECOMMENDATION LETTER
- LOR from professors
- LOR from clients/peers/colleagues/co-workers
- LOR from supervisors/employers
- LOR for applicants with international work experience
- LOR for non-traditional applicants
- LOR for an applicant’s community works
- LOR for higher/advanced degrees’ applicants
- LOR for specific reason
INTRODUCTION TO LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
“It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do with what happens to you.” – Aldous Huxley.
Getting admissions into the US universities is a highly competitive experience, where each person tries to outrun the other, by differentiating themselves by their unique profile and experiences. The admissions officers however look at something more than the tests, the scores and the grades. Though a slight difference in these, make you eligible for going to the next level or out-rightly rejected, but its not all-what the schools are looking at. Campus visits, interviews and essays, the much hyped over topics definitely play a crucial role in the admissions process. But, ironically, the Letters of Recommendation too, is one area where the admissions committee lay emphasis on, as they objectively evaluate the applicant’s integrity and the whole profile from a third party. Here the applicants fail to address this properly & adequately as they lack the planning and the knowledge of whom to ask and whom not to ask for their letters and the correct points which they should embark upon, in these in-depth letters. Increasing your chances to get admission among the extremely competitive pool of applicants, we suggest some useful resources which will attest your academic, work experiences, community profiles, and your own stories.
Strong Letters of Recommendation (LORs) fulfills many significant things in one go, apart from the credibility of a third party validating the information provided in all parts of the application including your essays. Firstly they provide you the precious opportunity to present additional managerial and leadership experiences –distinct and new qualifications and experiences which you couldn’t talk about anywhere. Looking at this conversely, if you are from a non-traditional background, you can talk about your analytical and quantitative skills. The LORs also combat weaknesses in applicant’s profile. They showcase a wholesome and fuller picture of who you are, thereby providing a Perfect Fit with the school’s culture.
The ultimate decision of the committee therefore where they would be wrestling between two equally qualified and deserved applicants, the tricky balanced scales would be in favor of a stellar LOR.We expand here on the basic requirements of the LORS, the purpose, their role, who to ask for LORs, whom not to ask, the challenges faced while choosing for a “Wise Recommender”, with insights into a persuasive writing.