- LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- Introduction to letter of recommendation
- The significance of recommendation letters
- Effective and compelling recommendation letter.
- Points to remember before asking a recommendation
- The common attributes of applicants for LOR
- RECOMMENDERS OF LOR
- The “recommenders”
- The choice of selection of potential recommenders
- Who are the potential recommenders
- Who cannot be a recommender?
- LOR’s which create doubts in admissions committee's mind
- The common challenges faced in choosing the “right recommenders”
- CATEGORIES OF RECOMMENDATION LETTER
- LOR from professors
- LOR from clients/peers/colleagues/co-workers
- LOR from supervisors/employers
- LOR for applicants with international work experience
- LOR for non-traditional applicants
- LOR for an applicant’s community works
- LOR for higher/advanced degrees’ applicants
- LOR for specific reason
“Writing is the Painting of the Voice!”- Voltaire.
“You don’t write because you want to say something …you write because you have something to say.”-F. Scott Fitzgerald.
We discussed on the various crucial topics of the Role of Letters of Recommendation in the admission Process ,the Right Recommenders, the challenges faced while choosing one and insights into effective LOR.With a correct perspective into writing each type of LOR,whether it is from the Professors, or supervisors or Clients, or writing it for a particular reason. All of these now makes us, knowledgeable enough to be equipped to ‘position’ ourselves (the applicants and also the authors of the LORS), while applying to various courses at the international Universities. Thus the key to a persuasive LOR is first on choosing the right recommender for yourself. A person, who knows you well enough to be able to appraise or attest you and your unique experiences in a compelling way, which would help you in winning the admission. Apart from this he/she should be willing enough to give his time and efforts for this. Having done this, the applicant should give him as much materials as he/she can, to help him deliver easily and efficiently. Like the List of different schools, for whom he has to write LORs, the copy of applicant’s resume, his personal statements copy, his unique skills and attributes which are a fit for the school (match points),appropriate forms which he has to fill with the deadlines of the school and also pre-addressed and stamped envelopes for all the applying schools. The applicant should give him enough time to write, without hurrying him to complete. Though a Follow-up and a thanks giving letter would be a good option. Reiterating the key points for the recommenders, he/she should only accept to write, if he/she feels himself as the best person to write the LOR for the particular candidate. The LOR should not be one which does not help the candidate in his admissions. If you are proficient in writing, like clearly and concisely without being ambiguous, then one should go ahead. If the recommender feels enthusiastic or positive for writing the LOR, he/she should accept writing it or he/she should decline the request. The writer should have all the required information about the candidate, so that he could help the applicant win the race.
The Letter of Recommendation is a critical milestone in the application form, which has the power to make or break, the admission of the applicant into the school. Harnessing this power to the maximum and at the same time optimally, depends totally on the applicant, of choosing the Right Recommenders.