- Graduate School
- Introduction to the Graduate School
- Why is it needed?
- How Affordable Is It
- The Many Myth-Busters
- Doing Research about Graduate School
- Introduction to Graduate School Research
- Identifying the Subject Best Fit For You
- Masters or Ph.D.?
- Qualities of a Successful Ph.D. Student
- Accordingly Identify the School
- How Many Schools to Apply?
- The Different Variables to Be Worked Out
- The Application for Graduate School
- Starting Your Application
- The Application Process
- How Does the Application Process Work?
- What Are People Looking For In Your Application?
- Picking the Right University and the Right Professor
- The Right Professor Is the Most Important Factor
- Few Questions You Need To Ask Of a Professor
- Parts of a Graduate School Application
- Things to Keep In Mind
- The Resume: The Importance of A Powerful One
- Writing Effective Statement of Purpose
- The Importance of an Important and Compelling Essay
- Personal Interviews
- Introduction to Interviews
- Do's In an Interview
- Don’ts in an Interview
- After The Interview
- Accepting an Offer
- Rejecting an Offer
- Preparing For Financials
- You Are In… What Now… The Road Ahead…
- Make an Estimate of the Fixed Costs
- Do You Qualify For a Need-Based Aid?
- How to Apply For the Need-Based Aid
- How Is the Aid Awarded?
- Non-Need-Based Aid
- Other Ways to Pay for Your Degree:
- What If You Fall Short
- Other Brooding Points
- International Students
- International Students Guidelines
- Few Not-So Important Critical Points
- Summing Up Admission Process
- Why Is Graduate School Important?
- Life in the Big League: A Graduate Student
- Different Schools for Different Programs
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
We understand that applying to the graduate school is a long drawn out process, and in spite of the best intentions, few important points might be skipped, which may cost you your seat. Since the competition is intense, even a miniscule mistake might sabotage all your best interests.
For instance, never skip any question asked, because the review committee might draw a conclusion that you have either carelessly missed the question or you are trying to avoid the same. Do not hesitate to seek for advice for questions which are not clear, however, never guess and then hope for the best.
After all the documents have been duly filled with precision make sure that they are arranged in an orderly manner. When the application is reviewed, if everything is arranged properly, there is a great chance that your application will be impressive because of the orderly manner in which it is arranged. The first impression may prove to be a lasting one and one that tilts the scale in your favor. Checking the entire form once again is very important because every attempt should be made to make the application error-free.
We list few points that we consider to be very important, and yet are prone to omissions:
The Resume: The importance of a powerful one
We have discussed earlier that good grades, (GPA or an impressive GRE score), is not enough to book a seat in the top league schools. The importance of a powerful resume will help you either compliment your grades or redeem the lost ground if the grades are not quite good enough. There has to be enough mention on your CV about the aptitude to do research, and it may win you the day if you already have done research of any scale at the initial levels (e.g. under-graduate levels).